Friday, January 22, 2010

The OR





"Jesus love me, this I know," I sing the words.

A nurse with white skin and pink cheeks administers sleeping gas. It's a mask, but Lucy doesn't mind. Her eyes flutter. She waves an arm. I hold her small pudgy hand and lean close. "Yes, Jesus loves me - - yes," the chorus encircles us. She's asleep and still I sing out the last words.

So many blue gowns and each one waits. And still I sing. All the perfection of a surgeon's team, the intersection of man and science, microscopes and scalpels that make 1mm incisions, precision, and still, they wait for my song's end. An unexpected reverence.

"Can I kiss her cheek?"

"Yes, you may."

Another nurse whisks me away. I feel as though we walk on water.

7 comments:

Susan Cowger said...

Pure poetry. Holy.

Pig Woman said...

Perfect. Singing in the OR. I love that! I feel comforted just thinking about it. I bet every one of those in blue gowns was comforted too. Thank you for sharing this tender moment. I am going to stick this moment in my pure and lovely thought box to dwell on during the day.

Rachelle said...

Oh Bethany! You know how to capture moments like no other. Let me wipe away the tears that are ready to drip. Thank you for sharing!

Keisha Valentina said...

*tears*

Lori said...

Wow - do you ever have a way with words! They dance off the screen! Hugs!

L. Noll Branting said...

Really, really beautiful.

Posh Toppings said...

I am just doing a little catch up... What a post. Trying to control the tears right now, as I have stood in the room you were probably standing in, singing the same song, and holding my own baby's pudgy hand as she went under. My mouth dropped as I read your words, transporting me to that moment once again.

So glad everything went well. Thank you for your example, your poetry, and your beautiful pictures. I enjoyed catching up a bit with your beautiful and growing family! -Krista