Friday, January 8, 2010

Simple Things





'"Coat, coat!" she chants. Lulie grabs at my elbow and waves a brown coat in circles. Never mind the bare feet, she's suiting up.

"Oh honey, you don't need your coat. Go play." She's a whirlwind of clothes. Froofy dresses, sister's socks, brother's unders pulled up to the waist through one leg-hole, a shirt or pants from two seasons back, she loves fashion.

Now, a lap or two around the house, she's back, "COOoat, ME!"

"Do you think you're going outside?"

"YEAH." She grins.

I sigh and wriggle pudgy arms into the coat. Still no shoes.

"Help-me, help-me." She gestures toward the kitchen. "Help-me, help-ME."

As I round the corner a gust of wind blows through the window. "JANE," I call. The window is WIDE open, no screen. "Janie, WHERE are you?"

Lulie's climbs onto the table bench, barrels up to the window bare feet and January frost no deterrent. "We're OUTSIDE, Momma!" Janie calls. "We climbed THROUGH the window!" Over the table and through the window, proud as punch, a practically perfect day.

6 comments:

Susan Cowger said...

Their only delight is in the fact that they thought of it--not that it could be wrong or dangerous. I'm with Lulie. At least put your coat on.

Reminds me of the time I ratted on my sister for drinking all the cough syrup (only because she wouldn't give me any).

Unknown said...

So proud of themselves! I love it!

Daniel and Cerissa said...

I can't wait to see Jude chasing after his big brothers that way :)

Rachelle said...

They certainly have become experts at making thier own fun! It's so cute how Lulie wants to hang with the big kids. After personally witnessing the undies pulled up past the waist, I can totally picture this scene! :)

Kafflens said...

I was going to post how much it sounded like my house until we got to the out the window part.... AJ WAS playing out in the front yard this morning in a pair of short? So I guess I can relate! I haven't talked to you in a while. I hope things are going well. I love you!

Meli

Keisha Valentina said...

Oh, I just LOVE this!